/ Sisters of Charity of Australia
Sisters of Charity of Australia
Heritage and Archive Centre
The Sisters of Charity of Australia converted their former dormitory in Potts Point into a new visitor centre, archive and permanent exhibition to tell their remarkable 175 year old story. The exhibition begins with their foundress, Mary Aikenhead, sending the first five sisters to Sydney in 1838. The chapters of the exhibition address the main branches of their ministries including health care, education and their diverse ministries both locally and in the Australasian region.
The black iron crucifix, a significant part of the collection, was given to the 5 founding Sisters on their departure from Ireland by their foundress Mary Aikenhead. The understated and humble nature of this object informed the materiality and palette for the exhibition’s display infrastructure, and perfectly represents the sisters dedication to their beliefs and vision.